Thursday, January 28, 2010

Charging for Knitting?

So, at the end of last year, I knit something that wasn't a gift for someone else for the first time. I charged him a total of 15 dollars or so - enough to buy the yarn, plus a little extra. That was so not enough.
How do other people charge for their knitting? I know there's a quote, "Knitting is like sex. If I like you, and you appreciate it, it's free. Otherwise, you couldn't pay me enough."
I'm not sure if 15 wasn't enough because the pattern was confusing, and I waited until the end of the semester to finish the project, which wasn't the commissioner's fault, really. Or was it because 15$ just straight-up wasn't enough? I've been told to charge for yarn x 2 or 3. But is this what I should do across the board?

Right now, I'm knitting two pair of fingerless mittens for my dad. They're incredibly simple, and by the time they're done, I'll have made 10 total gloves, all things considered. Should I charge my dad that much, though? Especially considering they're a V-day gift for my stepmom? I dunno. Argh.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I think you should look online to see what custom knitting sells for. Then if you can do that good of work, charge about the same rate. For your dad, I'm assuming you love him, and although the sex analogy shouldn't apply I'd only charge for the yarn (unless you dislike your stepmom and I'm not going there).

    -michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. no one will ever pay you what your knitting is actually worth. If you take minimum wage and multiply it by the number of hours the project takes you and add the cost of materials, you would probably never charge that much.

    ReplyDelete